Sunday, September 5, 2010

The cruel slow death of my...

...trustworthy companion and helper, my computer.

I still remember the day I put it together. About three years ago I bought the parts at a computer shop in another city, a city that happens to be my brother's. (He lives there, but he does not own it, it would be cool if he did.)
Hence being efficient as I am (at times)I also planned to visit him

Doing so I knocked on his door, upon him opening I gave my greetings and I installed my butt in his living room and there I assembled my computer. Finished assembling I pressed the power button and electronic life coursed through it's circuits. Oh I was happy. I finally had a powerhouse of a machine, with which I could do my work more efficiently.

Eager to play with my new machine I placed it in my cars trunk and drove back home, leaving my brother standing in the dust waving goodbye. Well okay, I did not leave immediately after, in no way did I only use my brother's living room as my personal assembling line. I also played with his many Katanas. (He is an second Dan Iaidoka.)

Every time I visit him I feel the urge to touch his swords. He gave me his practice iato to shut me up about asking to give me one of his Katanas. I still want a Katana, I love the iaito but it's not an Katana.

That day I also didn't break any of his stuff, it was a healing and creating day. I got to see my brother and gotten a new computer, a good day. Did I say I did not break anything that day? I did not break anything.

After a long drive that seemed to last an eternity, must have been my excitement slowing time, I arrived home. I don't remember kissing my wife upon arriving, the probability being high I immediately went upstairs and connected the computer.

I turned it on, installed the Operating System, installed the drivers, then it went wrong. My OS (Operating System) did not support the drivers for the wireless network adapter. (Or was it the other way around? I can't remember.) I had to go downstairs on my wife's laptop to search online for a solution. (I think I might have kissed my wife then.)

After hours browsing the net I found the driver on some Chinese website. I had some language problem selecting the right download, but I finally succeeded downloading it. I went on installing said drivers and it worked and it worked for about 45 minutes and for it to work again I had to reboot my system each and every time. The next day I bought a new Wireless Network Card, one that was compatible with my OS off-course.

Now on this day after many years of service I have to accept that my computer is slowly decaying and I've to start thinking about buying a new one. The problem with it is I can't run any tasking applications (Games), for when I do so it will just shut itself off. I suspect the graphic card or CPU overheating quicker than supposed, probably cause of wear. As a work around I used to open the window to keep my system cool, but that does not help anymore.

I think my computer might have about 6 months to go before expiring. I can live without using tasking applications, but I can't live with not using the word processor. I really don't know what to do without, how will I put my longhand to bits?

I ask my self many times during the day: Why off all thing is it my computer that is slowly decaying to a death-state while I still have so many writing to do and for the worse on a moment I do not have a budget for a new one.

No comments:

Post a Comment